On this page you will find the:
• Spiritual Companions Guidelines
• Spiritual Companions Professional Guidelines
• Spiritual Companions Agreement
Spiritual Companions Guidelines
As best we can Spiritual Companions practise the following guidelines:
- Regularly connect with and experience the wonder and energy of existence — by whatever name you call it: God, Spirit, the Mystery, Goddess, Source …
- Are grounded and centred in our bodies
- Can pause, still at will and become mindfully present
- Aware of the subtle sensations of connection
- Witness with compassion, in silence when appropriate
- Self-reflect and manage our behaviour, health and development with compassion, love and wisdom
- Are emotionally literate and transparent about our own processes
- Are in ongoing relationships and groups of peer support, actively seeking and welcoming feedback from others
- Understand that there are psychological challenges that occur as the everyday self emerges into spiritual consciousness
- Can take responsibility, apologise, forgive and receive forgiveness
- Appreciate that all life is in a continual process of emergence and are comfortable with unknowing
- Possess an appropriate sense of humour
- Enable safe and sacred space
- Provide a non-intrusive, welcoming, healing and holding presence
- Listen with care and enable people to clarify and own their own psycho-spiritual development
- Can assert clear boundaries and intervene, when appropriate, to stop abuse
- Celebrate diversity and welcome the fact that there are many different paths of spiritual development
- Are engaged citizens, actively dedicated to social and ecological health and honouring the spirit in all beings
- Are aware of local resources
- Know our personal and professional limitations and are able to refer appropriately
Spiritual Companions Professional Guidelines
- Can stay embodied and centred, and consistently and patiently hold a difficult situation with an open heart and generous disposition.
- Compassionately understand and empathise with people’s resistance and defensiveness when they are faced with change and discomfort.
- Appreciate and accept that when in the role of facilitator or mentor that I may become the target of people’s projections.
- Gracefully accept all irritations, criticisms and hurts as useful stimulations to my personal spiritual growth.
- Know when it is appropriate to pray for grace, support and guidance, and be open to receiving and acknowledging it.
- Stay present to people and not abandon them if and when the relationship and communications become tense and difficult.
- Can enquire appropriately enabling people to feel safe, reassured and able to disclose.
The Spiritual Companions Agreement
The Spiritual Companions Agreement describes the service offered by Spiritual Companions and defines our insurance cover.
The Spiritual Companions Agreement
With compassion, discretion and respect I will reassure and support you through careful listening, seeking fully to understand your personal story and circumstances.
Your Spiritual Journey
We may talk about your spiritual development, exploring that you are on a life-long journey developing heart and mind, compassion and consciousness.
We may explore together the ways in which you can best develop and deepen your connection with the wonder and energy of life.
Silence and Meditation
We may take some quiet time together; meditation can be healing, reassuring and supportive.